I am really really really sorry for not posting in the last few weeks! sometimes life just throws unexpected things at you that you are not prepared for! Basically there was a death in my family and my husband’s family at the same time and I needed to take some time!
I am back now! and will be posting my regular schedule, Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays with some extra posts here and there!
In honor of Persian new year, I wanted to share one of my favorite things in the world with you! a special bread that I have grown up with and have loved! BARBARI it never occurred to me until a month ago to make it myself! I love the smell and taste of warm fresh bread! it just makes everything better! so I gave it a shot and Loved the results 🙂
Traditionally this Bread is a lot longer, but my oven is not built for that… This Bread is also vegan which is a huge Plus 🙂
You will Need: ( this recipe makes two oval breads)
- 3 1/3 Cups All Purpose Flour (I used unbleached Flour)
- 1/2 Tsp Yeast
- 1 Tsp Salt
- Wheat Bran ( optional)
- Black and white Sesame Seeds
- Add yeast to 1 1/4 cup of warm water and stir thoroughly and set aside.
- In a Large bowl combine all purpose flour with salt.
- Add the water/yeast mixture to the flour bowl gradually and stir well.
- Start mixing with your hand until a dough forms, you can take it out of the bowl and work it on surface for 5 minutes
- Put dough back in the bowl, cover with a lid or plastic wrap to keep it warm.
- Let the dough sit for about an hour to rise and double in size.
- Mix 1 tbsp all purpose flour with 3 tbsp water in a pot and heat it until it boils and simmer until thickened.
- Take half of the dough and roll out in an inch thick oval shape.
- Sprinkle wheat bran across a bakeware.
- Transfer the dough onto the bakeware and brush the surface of the dough with the heated flour/water mixture.
- Sprinkle Black and white sesame seeds over the dough.
- Preheat the oven to 335º F (168º C), bake the barbari bread for 30 to 35 minute until golden.
- take out of the oven.. let it sit a bit and ENJOY with some homemade Jam or Vegan butter 🙂
Hope you guys get to make and enjoy this bread!! There are different ways of making this Barbari and some will say that placing bricks in the oven will help it be more authentic! I will keep trying for that beautiful Golden color 🙂
thanks so much for reading! I hope I haven’t lost my regular readers! you guys always make my day and I love seeing your comments!
Happy Persian New year!!! and will see you guys on Wednesday!
Love & Peace