- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled and chopped
- handful Spinach. ( Chopped)
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 can Pomi Tomato sauce ( low sodium, no added ingredients) you can also use one can drained chopped Tomatoes.
- 1 cup lentils, picked over and rinsed
- 2 1/2 cups water ( you can use vegetable stock as well, but it is too high is sodium for me to use )
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Juice of 1 medium lemon, to taste
**Note: Lentils, a small but nutritionally mighty member of the legume family, are a very good source of cholesterol-lowering fiber. Not only do lentils help lower cholesterol, they are of special benefit in managing blood-sugar disorders since their high fiber content prevents blood sugar levels from rising rapidly after a meal. But this is far from all lentils have to offer. Lentils also provide good to excellent amounts of seven important minerals, our B-vitamins, and protein—all with virtually no fat. The calorie cost of all this nutrition? Just 230 calories for a whole cup of cooked lentils. This tiny nutritional giant fills you up—not out.
_ Chop your carrots and onions and Clean and rinse the lentils ( you can soak them in a water for half an hour to make them softer)
– pour a quarter cup of water into a pot
– Add in the Onions, Carrots and stir around for 5 minutes until Onions are soft.
– Add in the Garlic, Cumin, Curry powder and Thyme, stir and cook for 30sec until fragrant and flavors are fused 🙂
– Pour in the Tomato sauce ( or diced tomatoes) and stir
– Pour in the lentils & the water
– Pour your Tomato Sauce in ( make sure to keep stirring in the beginning)
– Season with freshly ground black pepper. Raise heat and bring the mixture to a boil, then partially cover the pot and reduce heat to maintain a gentle simmer. Cook for 30 minutes, or until the lentils are tender.
-_Transfer 2 cups of the soup to a blender ( I use my NutriBullet) an Blend until smooth.
– Pour the soup back into the pot and add the Chopped Spinach Cook for 5 more minutes
– season some more with lemon juice and pepper until you are satisfied with the taste 🙂
*I do not cook with salt but you can add salt if you like! or Use lemon instead.
THERE YOU GO! serve in a Bowl put some mint on top for decoration and Enjoy 🙂
I hope you like this recipe! it is a very healthy and fulfilling Lunch or dinner! and delicious!
as always YOU’RE WELCOME!
please Share this is you enjoy these recipes, so that i can keep writing and sharing with you 🙂
follow me for more healthy HCLF recipes and other vegan goodness 🙂
Love & Peace