happy Monday Again! My post is up a little later than usual today but hey.. its up 😀
as promised I am bringing you delicious recipes ever Monday, and today I am giving you a veganized version of one of my favorite Persian dishes… Khoreshteh Karafs…. I am just going to call it Celery Dish since the main ingredient is celeries 🙂
This dish is so delicious, you will LOVE IT! Persian food does take longer to look, so be prepared to invest an hour or two in making the dishes! but RELAX, you only do 10-15 minutes of preparing and then you just have to let it cook on low heat 🙂
here we go!
1 large onions
2 cloves garlic
1/2 head celery
1 1/2 cups fresh parsley, packed
1 cups fresh mint, packed
1 tsp turmeric
2 Persian limes (LEEMU AMANI or Dried lime) you can get these from a Persian market or middle eastern market near you, these are dried brown limes)
3 cups vegetable broth ( you can use water and add in a veggie Cube as well)
***add in 1 cup of chickpeas or kidney beans for protein! your choice, I added Red kidney beans today :)***
- Dice onion and mince garlic.
- add in some water to your pot and Sauté in water until translucent.
- Add turmeric and cook for a few minutes longer.
- Cut the celery sticks into about 1 inch pieces. Add celery to the onion and garlic mixture and sauté for a few minutes.
- chop all the herbs. Add the herbs to the pot along with the Persian Limes. Be sure to punch two small holes in each lime.
- Add broth ( or your veggie cube to water). Season with pepper.
- Cook covered for one hour on low heat!
*** As you may already know I do not cook with salt or Oil , so feel free to add or cook with those if you need to, but the dish does not need it 🙂
Serve over white basmati rice and enjoy!!! as you can see I have some red kidney beans in here… I added them from a can 45 minutes into cooking, if you have raw beans, add them in towards the beginning 😉
Do not eat the Persian limes, they are only there to add taste to the dish while cooking 🙂
Hope you guys enjoyed this recipe! let me know if you get to make in the comments,
~Update: just saw that Amazon carries the Persian Limes as well 🙂 Click HERE to get it!
as always YOU’RE WELCOME!
Love & Peace