Ever since I have gone Vegan.. people really love to tell me what I am missing out on! haha .. and One thing everyone tells me I am missing out on being Vegan is Mac & Cheese…
well guess what… I have a healthier version of this dish and you can enjoy it too… without the guilt 🙂
this is so delicious you will be addicted 🙂
so here we go!
– Gluten Free, Sodium Free Penne Pasts ( mine are made with brown riceRice for a healthier meal) you can use your regular mac & Cheese noodles if you like… but these are much healthier 🙂
– 1/4 Cauliflower head
– 2 TBS mined Garlic
– Half a cup non-dairy Milk ( almond, coconut or rice… I used Rice here)
– 1 Green Onion, finely chopped on top.
– A pinch of pepper.
– Juice from Half a Lemon
-1 TBS Nutritional yeast
– NutriBullet or blender
** Note: Nutritional yeast is a microorganism known as Saccharomyces cerevisiae and grown on sugar cane and beet molasses. Once it’s harvested, it undergoes heat treatment to deactivate it; then it’s crumbled or flaked. Add nutritional yeast raw to smoothies or salads, or sprinkle it over popcorn, stir into soup or toss into pasta. Nutritional yeast is a source of B vitamins, including thiamine, folate, B-6 and niacin. Just 1/2 tablespoon of some brands will provide you with a day’s worth of B vitamins, These vitamins help you extract the energy from food and produce red blood cells. Many types of nutritional yeast are also fortified with vitamin B-12, which is usually found exclusively in animal products. For vegans, fortified nutritional yeast thus becomes a source of this nutrient.It contains little sodium and fat. It’s also gluten-free, so people who must avoid this protein found in wheat products can enjoy it.
– pour a splash of water into a pot
– Add in the garlic and some pepper seasoning bring to a small boil an let it cook for 2-3 minutes.. this will in fuse the flavors of the garlic.
– Pour your Non-dairy milk in and bring to a small boil.
– After boiling, bring to a simmer and add in the Cauliflower.
-Cover and cook for 8-10 minutes or until the cauliflower is soft.(not crunchy)
– You can also start making your pasta … Mine only takes 5-7 minutes so I like to make it right away. Pour your pasta into a pot of boiling water and cook until soft… do not overcook this type of pasta ( if you are using the rice) because it will be sticky and hard.
- after your cauliflower is done pour everything from this pot into your Blender, add in the lemon and Nutritional yeast and blend until it is creamy ( about 30 seconds)
- Serve your pasta on to a dish or bowl and pour in the creamy sauce and mix it all up!
- add some Green onion on top and ENJOY!
and there you go! you can add salt if you like! but I do not use salt or oil in my cooking!
I hope you enjoy this dish and let me know what you think in the comments 🙂
As always YOU’RE WELCOME!
Please Follow me for more vegan and cruelty free goodness: